Monday, April 19, 2010

Beauty protip: Primer

Hey ladies! It's been a while since I've posted, I know, but I'm sure we all know how life catches up with us. To make up for it, I'll be posting a little bit extra in the days to come, so keep an eye out for new entries.

Today, let's talk about makeup. Specifically, foundation primer. If you've ever been in a beauty store, you might have ooh'd and ahh'd over some expensive foundation primer that's supposed to miraculously make your pores disappear, smooth out fine lines, and create a "canvas" for your liquid or powder foundation. Of course, these products are ridiculously expensive (I'm looking at you, Smashbox). I paid about seventeen dollars for a 0.5 ounce travel-sized tube of high-end primer because I wanted to test it once without shelling out thirty or forty bucks for a full-sized tube. Let's be real here; most people (ie. me) don't have the sort of disposable income that would allow them to buy tons of this stuff on a whim.


"But what if I still want a fancy foundation primer?" you might ask. Well, an excellent drug store alternative is, rather surprisingly, Monistat's Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. I haven't tried this personally, but have read dozens of testimonials and reviews of people who loved using this stuff. Yeah, it sounds weird, but if you look at the ingredients, both contain dimethicone as an active ingredient. Plus, Monistat's gel is for sensitive areas, so using it on your face shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind that this is not the same as Monistat's yeast infection creams-- that'd be kind of gross.

At about eight bucks a pop, this is definitely a much cheaper alternative to more expensive brand-name cosmetics. But don't just take my word for it. Here is a keen review from the beauty section of glamour.com. Happy shopping!

0 comments: